Thursday, May 04, 2006

No Longer Newborn

I have been informed that Max is no longer a newborn, he's officially an infant. Of course all it takes is one look at his chubby cheeks to see that he's growing so quickly- this doesn't surprise me!

He has been smiling so much more lately, it's really fun to see him smile in response to something- he even smiled when I called home and Ron put the phone to his ear while I was talking! Last week he had his first smile in responce to someone- Uncle Larry was saying goodbye and Max smiled at him. He's been taking off smiling since then! This morning he smiled when Ron came down on a break, and he often smiles at us when he wakes up from a nap or in the morning. It's really fun to be able to do something to coax a smile out of him instead of the newborn time when they mostly smile randomly in their sleep.

So, I tried to capture his smile on film this morning to share with all of you. He was having none of it. Below is a series of pictures of me trying to get him to smile, to no avail.

In other news, I took a few hours of work at the video relay call center. I was really nervous about pumping and having Ron bottle feed Max- often when introducing a bottle the baby will not want to take the breast again. I was overly anxious all weekend just waiting to see what happened. On a trial run on Saturday night, he did fine. I should've known that with all he's been through so far- breastfeeding, finger feeding, pacifier, etc. that he would drink from just about anything! Ron was home having father son time during the 5 hours I was gone, and it went just fine. This was when I called home and Max smiled when he heard my voice. That made the shift a lot better! They were really great about allowing me time to pump during my break, there was a nice quiet room and I was able to use our new double electric breast pump just fine. It was quite a sight, though! I knew that I would also need to eat on my break, so I rigged my sports bra with two holes to hold the pumps. So basically I could hands-free pump... but it was a strange feeling being hooked up to a machine pumping my breasts while I ate a sandwich.. I will only be working one or two nights a week, just for 5 hours. Ron will be home with Max. It will be a good opportunity for Max to get used to Daddy putting him to sleep once in awhile, and all in all I think it's a good thing for all of us.

One of my favorite things (and I'm making a list- to be posted here later) is taking naps with Max. I try to nap with him at least once a day. Here's a picture that Ron caught of us napping on the couch last week.

Another thing I love is waking up in the morning to my husband and son lying in bed. I feel so lucky! We have Max's crib attached to our bed with one side removed (like a sidecar) and he starts off in the crib part at night, but he usually ends up between Ron and I by morning. We laze in bed a few minutes just playing with him. It is a great way to start off the day. This was taken this morning.


Chaos said...

Wow, he's getting so big! It's hard to believe he's the same guy who came to our house for Easter. They grow so fast.

Love to all three of you.

Breana said...

He is so big, and SO are such a beautiful family.
I want to know how much he weighs!!!

Kathie Sever said...

he's a blondie, eh? lil' toehead like mom and uncle larry! think his hair will turn green when you take him swimming?